Categories of hosting services
A hosting service means hoarding and/or sharing particular web content on a hosting server run by a website hosting supplier. There are various categories of hosting services used for various goals, so let's take a peek at them. In that way, you can determine what you need, on the basis of whether you'd like to create a web portal, email addresses, or to share files with pals and associates.
- File hosting: a solution supplied by certain file storage providers, which lets you share enormous files. These could be disk images, motion pictures, audio files, archives, etc. This service is also known as file storage, and its sole purpose is to share files, since it does not offer web site uploading. As soon as the files are uploaded, you will either receive an accidentally created download link for each of them, or you will be able to examine a register of all the files in a directory, but you will be unable to open .html or .php web page files in your web browser. Free-of-charge file hosting packages often include adverts next to the download links, while a timer makes you await a particular spell of time to perceive them. A single file can be downloaded with restricted speed. If you possess a paid file hosting package, there are no limitations as to how many files you can upload/download immediately, and also there is no restriction as far as the download speed and the file size are concerned.
These days, with the help of the cPanel hosting providers, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more faddish "cloud hosting". This is an entirely incongruous interpretation of the literal meaning of "cloud hosting". An actual cloud website hosting platform would allot the tasks at hand between different sets of web hosting servers in a cluster, which are devoted to serving miscellaneous web space hosting services (electronic mail, storage space, statistics, DNS, databases, site hosting CP, and so on.) So, the file hosting service is merely a kind of a data storage hosting solution, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even near.
- Image hosting: similar to file hosting; given distributors provide a hosting service for images solely. This hosting variant is appropriate if you desire to share an immense quantity of images with friends or colleagues since the service is typically free. You will receive a random link for each and every pic or album and you can then share this link. As with the file storage service, .html and .php files are not supported, so the solution cannot be utilized for web sites.
- E-mail hosting: a service devoted to tackling your e-mail addresses. Some corporations offer site hosting solutions for web sites, but do not supply an e-mail hosting service. If you desire to set up an e-mail address with your domain name but do not want to keep a site, then the email hosting service is what you require. You can open e-mailbox accounts and administer them, but there will be no hosting solution for the domains. The e-mail hosting service involves incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP mail servers.
- Video hosting: this solution allows you to upload and share video clips. You can either share a link to a given video clip, or you can embed the video in your web page that is hosted elsewhere. The advantage of using this approach in lieu of uploading the video in a hosting account is that the video clip creates a given amount of CPU load, so with a couple of videos and a few hundred web site visitors, you may have a hard time with your site hosting reserves. Embedding the video file will permit you to have as many video clips as you would like without bothering about system resources.
- Website hosting: this is the service that you require if you would like to run a website. To a certain extent, it contains all of the aforementioned hosting categories since, along with your sites, you can also host pictures and files, you can keep databases and e-mail accounts, upload video files, etc. At KeepSailingWeb, for instance, you can view web hosting and dedicated hosting plans that allow you to get all of the aforementioned solutions in one place. There may be limitations depending on the sort of hosting solution that you've picked - a free hosting package, a paid shared hosting plan, a VPS or a dedicated server. Depending on that, your webspace hosting account may be better or worse compared with the ordinary email/file/video/image hosting accounts that are purposed for particular web content solely.